Benchmarks results for FreeBSD 11

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 28 12:55:51 UTC 2016

On 28 Aug 2016, at 02:10, K. Macy <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> The problem here is that Phoronix took a Beta version of FreeBSD 11.
>> Beta versions have a lot of debugging (malloc, invariants, witness)
>> options enabled which make it significantly slower than release
>> versions. This is even obviously when you run a Beta as a desktop. It
>> just feels much slower.
>

> I don't know what was going on in these particular tests, but in a
> more recent benchmarking run
> -https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd11-clang-gcc&num=1
> - you're seeing the result of openmp being disabled in base. The clang
> maintainer for src refuses to include libomp as required for -fopenmp
> because nothing in base requires it.

Come on, this is nonsense.  I have indicated earlier that I would have
liked to import openmp into base, but this was shot down precisely for
that reason: nothing in base uses it.

So for now, the solution is simply: install one of the llvm ports, and
use it.  These have configuration setting to install every optional
component from the LLVM project.

-Dimitry