Benchmarks results for FreeBSD 11

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 28 00:10:45 UTC 2016

> The problem here is that Phoronix took a Beta version of FreeBSD 11.
> Beta versions have a lot of debugging (malloc, invariants, witness)
> options enabled which make it significantly slower than release
> versions. This is even obviously when you run a Beta as a desktop. It
> just feels much slower.

I don't know what was going on in these particular tests, but in a
more recent benchmarking run
-https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd11-clang-gcc&num=1
- you're seeing the result of openmp being disabled in base. The clang
maintainer for src refuses to include libomp as required for -fopenmp
because nothing in base requires it. I certainly can't speak for the
community as a whole - but based on my experience when discussing new
features that adversely impact networking performance my impression is
that out of the box performance is generally not a priority.

-M