when the sshd hits the fan

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Sep 23 10:19:14 UTC 2015

Eugene M. Zheganin wrote on 09/23/2015 10:44:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to understand why the sshd still starts after local daemons,
> out-of-the-box, and what it takes to make this extremely vital service
> to start before non-system (local) ones. I bet I'm not the first one to
> ask, so why isn't this already done ? Seems quite easy for me.

I was thinking about this a long time ago and instead of trying to
change FreeBSD, I just added one simple file on each of our servers:

~/> cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd_reorder
#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: sshd_reorder
# REQUIRE: LOGIN sshd

## this file is just to start sshd earlier on the boot
## mainly before long starting processes like jails, mysql, apache etc.
##
## place this file in to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd_reorder
## and make it executable chmod 0555 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd_reorder

It is not perfect, because some services are still started before sshd.

Miroslav Lachman