FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img kills every Windows it touch

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:58:57 UTC 2015

There is no GPT parser in Windows XP because XP doesn't support it. Windows
7 supports it and dies differently. But why to use GPT in the installation
stick in the first place? You don't use any advantage of GPT and on old
hardware even can't use GPT during boot but its MBR compatibility. That's
obvious that XP and 7 have some epic bugs with GPT, but why to trigger them
if you can use MBR? After all you need only one partition for the FreeBSD
installation files. MBR does this job perfectly.

BTW why FreeBSD installation files resides in the second partition of GPT
(/dev/da0p2)? Maybe this is the trigger of the Windows bug? As far as I
know at least XP doesn't support more than one MBR partition on an USB
stick.