Is there a linux_base available for RELENG_9?

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Wed Mar 11 00:30:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:29:12 +0000 Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk>
wrote

> > Indeed. Having read UPDATING prior to the attempted upgrade, I
> > followed the advise to add 'compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18'
> > to sysctl.conf(5). And rebooted.
>
> If you rebooted then it should have been set - and you should
> not have needed to do it manually.
>
> > But what turned out to be the *actual* solution, was to use
> > sysctl(8). Applying it directly fixed it. :-)
>
> This should not have been necessary if you rebooted. I think
> you should try and find out what went wrong, as otherwise this
> will not work when you reboot next time and you will have to set it
> by hand on each reboot.
>
> It sounds like you did all the right things - nt sure why it didnt
> work for you.
>
> Have you rebooted since ? What is the value after rebooting now ?
Hello Peter, and thank you for the reply.
I only just now got a chance to bounce the box.
I first
sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
as that's what it reported, after the [kern/world] install,
and before/during my attempts to install -c6.
I then confirmed the setting via sysctl, then confirmed
sysctl.conf(5) had the
sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18
setting listed. Bounced the box, and the sysctl.conf
settings took. I have absolutely no idea why it wouldn't
work as stated in UPDATING, or after loading it in
sysctl.conf, yesterday. But it *apparently* works now.
I think, under the circumstances, I'd do well to
continue to monitor that setting for awhile. Fortunately,
given it's FreeBSD, and a server, I won't have a need
to bounce it very often.

Thanks again, Peter, for taking the time to reply.

--Chris