Is there a linux_base available for RELENG_9?

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Tue Mar 10 01:07:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:51:06 +0000 Gary Palmer <gpalmer at freebsd.org> wrote

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 05:44:55PM -0700, Chris H wrote:
> > I performed av svn update for both src (r279796),
> > and ports (r380829) last night. building/installing
> > world/kernel, went as one would hope. Upgrading ports
> > was a different story. Given this box has an nVidia card.
> > I usually start by upgrading emulators/linux_base; which
> > according to UPDATING; meant linux_base-f10 --> linux_base-c6.
> > I deinstalled x11/nvidia-driver, followed by
> > emulators/linux_base-f10. I then attempted to make install
> > emulators/linux_base-c6, which resulted in a message
> > that it wasn't supported. So I simply cd'd to
> > emulators/linux_base-f10, followed by make install. Which
> > resulted in a CVE message; indicating it was vulnerable
> > to glib issues. I'm now stuck w/o hardware support for
> > my video card, and unable to effectively follow
> > a safe port upgrade path, that enables me to keep the
> > options I have chosen for my currently installed ports.
> > Is there a *safe* linux_base available?
> >
> > Thank you for all your time, and consideration.
>
> If you set
>
> sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18
>
> you can install linux_base-c6 on RELENG_9
>
> It works well enough at least for nvidia-driver, as my main desktop
> is 9.3-RELEASE-p9 and has nvidia-driver and linux_base-c6-6.6_3
> installed
>
> Remember to put
>
> compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18
>
> into /etc/sysctl.conf so it's preserved on startup
>
> I believe if you read the message from linux_base-c6 that's basically
> what it told you to do.
Thanks for the reply, Gary.
Right you are. That's exactly what I did to stage for the upgrade;
entered 'compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18' into etc/sysctl.conf
rebooted, deinstalled x11/nvidia-driver, emulators/linux_base-f10,
cd emulators/linux_base-c6; make install
which led to:
===>  linux_base-c6-6.6_3 compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.16 is not supported,
please use 2.6.18, BEWARE this is highly experimental.
*** [all] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-c6.

Thanks! and sorry for not being more detailed in the first place.

--Chris