FreeBSD ZFS with Boot Environments (Was: 10.1-RELEASE: bsdinstall on zfs: /var and /usr on zroot/ROOT/default)

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 07:41:01 UTC 2015

On 08/02/2015 23:59, Paul Mather wrote:
> See, also, the sysutils/beadm port for how to create and use boot
> environments under FreeBSD.

beadm is great.  I keep meaning to contribute a 'beadm chroot BOOTENV'
verb, which would mount the BE, mount a devfs filesystem inside it and
chroot to the BE -- and then undo all that once you exit from the BE.
Some day...

> I don't know if the bsdinstall ZFS partitioning option is compatible
> with sysutils/beadm boot environments, but, from what I've seen in
> this thread, it looks like it is.

I find the bsdinstall layout is /close/ to what I like to use for a
setup with Boot Environments, but needs some tweaking.

   * Use /home as a separate ZFS directly rather than symlinking from
     /usr/home  (It's not clear to me why this isn't the default.
     Everything treats home directories as '/home/username' and with
     ZFS there's no need to make .../home a child of /usr because of
     partitioning or space usage considerations.)

   * Create an overlay /var (ie. with canmount=no) to act as a mount
     point for /var/log, /var/tmp, /var/crash *outside* the boot
     environments.

   * Ditto with /usr or /usr/local for some special use directory
     heirarchies under /usr -- eg. /usr/local/pgsql for Postgresql
     servers.

Otherwise the BE consists of all of /, /usr and /var.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.