protecting some processes from out-of-swap killer

Ronald Klop ronald-lists at klop.ws
Tue Apr 28 09:51:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:15:32 +0200, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru>
wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
>> > However, sometimes postgres processes got killed by 'out of swap
>> space'.
>> > I suppose the source of problem could be that VSZ size of postgres
>> processes
>> > (8-9 G) is bigger than swap congigured (4G).
>> >
>> > Is there any way to prevent this, besides reallocating space for swap?
>>
>> protect(1) ?
>
> Of course.  I really do not understand how google hides the man page
> from me.
>
> Thanks, and sorry fot the noise.

The OS trying to kill a process is probably not what you want. So when you
protect(1) postgres the OS will kill another process, which I hope is not
running without reason.
My advice would be to
- or increase your swap space
- or tune postgresql to use less memory
- or limit tmpfs (tmpfs uses swap if RAM is short)
- or tune zfs to use less memory

Regards,
Ronald.