vt does not resume properly after zzz

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 23:14:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM, <marekrud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have configured vt by adding `kern.vty=vt' to /boot/loader.conf.
>
> After suspending the system using zzz and resuming, I can only see black
> screen.  The system seem to be running, but the display is off.  I was
> able to reproduce it on two different computers running 10.1-BETA2 and
> 10.1-BETA3.
>
> Is there a simple way to fix it?  Should I report it to Bugzilla?
>
> Thank you for help!
>
> Marek

Since it works fine for me and, I presume, for many others, a bit more
information would help.

1. Does syscons work after resume?
2. Does the system run a graphics interface or is it text only? If so, does
the problem show up in both modes?
3. WITH_NEW_XORG? (I am pretty sure it is, but confirmation would be good.)
4. What driver?
5. What graphics system?
6. What type of system? (This stuff is tied closely to BIOS, so exact
hardware is significant.)
7. Contents of /etc/make.conf, /etc/src.conf, /boot/loader.conf, and
/etc/sysctl.conf
8. Contents of messages log at the time of the suspend and resume
9. If not using GENERIC, your configuration file.
10. After the resume, is the system accessible over the network?
11. Is the display working but the backlight not on? Try looking at the
screen in bright light and see if you can see anything on the screen

I'm probably missing a few things, but those will at least help narrow it
down.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com