ZFS on root booting broken somewhere after r270020

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at icloud.com
Thu Sep 11 03:15:27 UTC 2014

> On 11.9.2014, at 4.25, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kimmo Paasiala" <kpaasial at icloud.com>
>
> snip...
>
>> Just a thought. Is my problem related to the use of GPT labeled partitions
>> in my pool configuration? Your testing shows just "raw" devices like ada0p3 etc.
>
> That "should" have no impact on anything, we disable gptids and diskid's as we
> don't like them adding an extra layer for lookups when admins are working with
> the machines.
>
>   Regards
>   Steve

I recreated the pool on the second disk as another single disk pool, performed zfs send -R … | zfs receive -F …

It works now just fine with the kernel that didn’t work with old pool so there must have been something seriously broken with the old pool. I also noticed the old pool kept repeatedly restarting the resilver operations when I tried to expand it into a mirror.

Case closed for now.

-Kimmo