[HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Wed Sep 3 10:28:13 UTC 2014

Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 02.09.14 18:40, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>> Time to rebuild everything from scratch I think - second time in a
>> year.. I'm guessing my boss is going to tell me, use RPM, no wasting
>> more time on it... only time will tell... you'll know the result if
>> you see future posts and patches from me.
>
> You must really hate RPM, as pkg is trying to do essentially the same
> for FreeBSD. :)

You have no idea.... well you might, but not my level of hatred of it.

> As others already mentioned, rebuilding production
> environments/packages via cron jobs from moving target such as the
> current ports three is not the best setup favoring 'stability'.
I trigger a build when I need something (patch/new package etc) ... then
it will continue trying to build until it gets a stable build across the
entire tree... sometimes that takes weeks (and I only have 580 ports)

> These things can and do fail sometimes. From your postings on this
> thread I understand you are unhappy that your pkg_tools poudriere
> jails were messed up. So are many others.

You see this is a problem...  Change something in the core that screws
over a working environment....not the way of an enterprise capable OS -
reminds me of the pre v1.0 days of linux.
> The switch is indeed a pain, but the direction is good. Progress is
> part of evolution -- it knocks off some, and promotes others.

Didn't say it wasn't good, what I'm saying was the way it was done is bad.

> We will have to live with it. WhateverHat is not better.
I can't comment on that - the entire org runs *Hat, I've spent the last
3 years showing the benefits of *BSD and now I feel completely betrayed
because there is no chance of them changing, "You see it's not an
Enterprise OS"...

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/