[HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Sep 3 07:05:18 UTC 2014

On 02.09.14 18:40, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Time to rebuild everything from scratch I think - second time in a
> year.. I'm guessing my boss is going to tell me, use RPM, no wasting
> more time on it... only time will tell... you'll know the result if
> you see future posts and patches from me.

You must really hate RPM, as pkg is trying to do essentially the same
for FreeBSD. :)

As others already mentioned, rebuilding production environments/packages
via cron jobs from moving target such as the current ports three is not
the best setup favoring 'stability'. These things can and do fail
sometimes. From your postings on this thread I understand you are
unhappy that your pkg_tools poudriere jails were messed up. So are many
others.

The switch is indeed a pain, but the direction is good. Progress is part
of evolution -- it knocks off some, and promotes others. We will have to
live with it. WhateverHat is not better.

Daniel