pkgng upgrade -> force upgrade of dependencies

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sat Oct 25 01:59:06 UTC 2014

I've scoured the documentation, but I cannot for the life of me figure how to do this. Let's say I want to upgrade a package "apache22" without upgrading everything on the system. Now I want to ensure I get enough of the dependencies into the upgrade that apache will actually work. So I try this:

# pkg upgrade apache22-worker-mpm
Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
	apache22-worker-mpm: 2.2.27_6 -> 2.2.29_2

Hmmm, that doesn't seem right.

# pkg upgrade | grep openssl
       openssl: 1.0.1_15 -> 1.0.1_16

# pkg info -d apache22-worker-mpm
apache22-worker-mpm-2.2.27_6:
	expat-2.1.0_1
	openssl-1.0.1_15
	perl5-5.16.3_11
	pcre-8.34_2
	apr-1.5.1.1.5.3_4
	libiconv-1.14_3

So, a new version of openssl is needed and is linked to the new binary. But it will not be installed when I upgrade apache.

Before I moved to pkgng/poudriere I used to use portmaster. That would more thoroughly examine the dependencies and make sure everything that was inter-related (both as parent and child dependencies) was upgraded together. But it did not force me to upgrade Java when I just wanted to get the new version of bash installed.

Am I missing something?

# pkg -v
1.3.8

Thanks