[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Errata Notice FreeBSD-EN-14:11.crypt

Jim Pirzyk pirzyk at freeBSD.org
Fri Oct 24 11:14:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was wondering if there is more information about this change?  FreeBSD changed the default away from DES to MD5 back in the 1.1.5 -> 2.0 transition.  It seems to me a downgrade and rewarding bad programming to be changing back to DES now.  Also the proper course of action is to correct programs that make the wrong assumption about what crypt() changes.

Thanks

- JimP