vt in amd64/10.0-RELEASE-p9 #0?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:41:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Regarding /usr/ports/UPDATING from 20141001 and 20141003,
> I'm following instructions but cannot get vt.
> I've set kern.vty=vt in /boot/loader.conf,
> but on reboot I get:
>
> % sysctl kern.vty
> sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.vty': No such file or directory
>
> and the switching from the graphicsl console to
> the text does not work. I can type commands blindly,
> just as described.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
> says this should work
> "in GENERIC on amd64/i386 as of r268045".
> Perhaps my 10.0-RELEASE-p9 #0 is earlier than that?
>
> Please advise
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton

Not sure what this is doing in ports as it is a kernel issue. It belongs on
stale.

10.0 does not include vt(4). It was added shortly after the 10.0 release.
The various "-p" releases only contain security patches, not functional
updates. To get vt(4), you will need to either update to a STABLE after the
specified revision or update to 10.1-RC2. I'd recommend the latter as it
can be fairly quickly accomplished, especially if you are running GENERIC.
Or wait for 10.1-RELEASE which is PROBABLY not far off.

freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RC2
Go over the edits to etc (this can be a bit of a pain as the merge editing
is just done with vi)
freebsd-update install
reboot (does not need to be to single user)
freebsd-update install

The upgrade will make several thousand patches, so it does take a while to
run, but you can just leave it alone for the time it takes to run and your
system is fully functional during that time. When it is finished, it prints
out instructions for how to proceed. It may recommend re-installing all
packages, but that is almost certainly not required as no system shareables
have had versions updated. You will need to re-install any packages that
provide kernel modules, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com