VT switch to console disabled once X starts

Matthieu Volat mazhe at alkumuna.eu
Tue Oct 14 09:50:29 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've had this problem with a HP Z400 workstation which is currently running 10.1-RC2, but had it since I put FreeBSD 10 on it: using either syscons or vt, I can see the console output when the system boots.

But once the X server start (through xdm, using the nvidia driver), if I try to switch to another screen, I get only a black screen, but I can get back to vt #9 and get my X session back. If I don't set xdm in /etc/ttys, I can use the consoles...

I have no relevant information in dmesg and little in syslog: only messages from console-kit-daemon giving up on the consoles (Device not configured) and devd messages:
devd: check_clients: dropping disconnected clients
when switching.

Does anybody have an idea of what is wrong with my setup?

Thanks,

-- Matthieu Volat