USB keyboard not recognized during boot

Daniel nefar at otherware.org
Tue Oct 7 16:13:25 UTC 2014

> > On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 13:59:12 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> > My problem stems from not being able to use my keyboard during the geli
> > password prompt for the encrypted root drive.
> >

> I have a Supermicro X10SAE, also using GELI-encrypted root ZFS.
> I have found that, comical as it may seem, mashing the keyboard
> during the system's initial device probing allows me to hit enter
> at the password prompt (which gets printed in between some of the
> USB device probes) and then enter the password properly.  I'm
> running on:
>
> FreeBSD behemoth 10.1-RC1 FreeBSD 10.1-RC1 #0 r272473: Fri Oct  3 14:56:28
> UTC 2014 root at behemoth:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Hi Chris, thank you so much for your response. It prompted me to try again.
Your suggestion failed but I revisited the BIOS settings in the hope that
something would work.

I found a setting called "Port 60/64 Emulation which when disabled allowed
me to enter the password for encryption. (Woo-hoo!)

The description in the BIOS for this setting is:

"Enables I/O Port 60h/64h emulation support"

I also noticed that when I do a system halt, there is a prompt to press
keyboard to reboot. That also didn't work with the way things work.

So, it seems to me there's a fix related to this Port 60/64 that could be
done on the OS side of things.