Upgrade from 10.1-RC3 to 10.1-RELEASE using freebsd-update

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:41:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Masoom Shaikh via freebsd-stable <
freebsd-stable at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I installed 10.1-RC3 via USB image on my laptop, in bid to upgrade
> 10.1-RELEASE I ran
> #freebsd-update fetch -r 10.1-RELEASE
> it fails saying
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RC3 from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... fetch:
> http://update5.freebsd.org/10.1-RC3/amd64/t/c8fafcc79d7cc092c7782f4f1a29a777d751294183c8f2cb9daf940ba0525d96:
> Not Found
> failed.
>
> this topic has already been discussed here
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-November/080954.html
> and
>

> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-update-r-10-1-rc4-upgrade-fails.48835/
>

> solution is actually mentioned in forums threads
> what it suggest is
> #freebsd-update rollback
> #reboot
> #freebsd-update fetch
> #freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RC4
> #freebsd-upgrade install
> #reboot
> #freebsd-upgrade install
>
> for me rollback fails saying
> No rollback directory found.
> maybe because I did not install RC3 via freebsd-update, nonetheless any
> fix as yet?

You're using the wrong command to freebsd-update.
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RELEASE

"fetch" is appropriate to updating for patches to the release you are
currently running.

Since you installed from a USB distribution, there is no rollback. The
rollback data is created by freebsd-update.

Also, I suspect you entered the data above from memory as freebsd-upgrade
is not a command in base freebsd.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com