SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:45:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru> wrote:

> Paul,
>

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Paul Mather wrote:
>
> > > I'm trying to set up sol console for supermicro servers, reading some
> documents
> >
> > Aye, and there's the rub: I've found that the COM port that SOL uses
> > varies across different Supermicro server models, and the BIOS support
> > for assigning or determining the COM port differs (or is sometimes
> > nonexistent) between those servers. :-(
> >
> > I recently spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why SOL was
> > not working on a particular Supermicro server and it turned out to be
> > that the COM port differed to those I'd used in previous setups.
>
> Yes, at least on X8SIE your hint works, swithing to com3 with
>
> # SOL console
> boot_multicons="yes"
> boot_serial="YES"
> console="comconsole vidconsole"
> # com3 is ipmi/sol console
> comconsole_port="0x3E8"
> comconsole_speed="115200"
>
> works, thanks a lot!
>
> Still fighting microcloud blades...
>
> Next thing will be consolidation all these into conserver-com for both
> logging
> and centralized management...
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
> [ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]
> *** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck at rinet.ru ***

Well,

I just performed my upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3 and now serial does not work
anymore, so something funky is going on.

I made sure to copy both the loader.conf and ttys file just to be sure. I
see the loader loading modules, but as soon as kernel takes over serial
console goes quiet :/

Best Regards
Andreas