Sendmail Version

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri May 9 04:22:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo at the.ie> wrote:

> 220 The.ie ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.8/8.14.7; Thu, 8 May 2014 19:46:51 -0700
> (PDT)
>
> I thought it was the configs but I remade sendmail.cf and submit.cf on a
> 8.14.8
> install. My mailer.conf seems correct as well. What is causing this? And
> what
> exactly is the difference between the first and second versions? And
> finally,
> how do I fix it :)

It's not something you really need to fix; the configs only differ by that
version number --- the first is from the sendmail binary, the second is the
definition of the Z macro (DZ8.14.7) in sendmail.cf, from
/usr/share/sendmail/cf which was taken from an 8.14.7 installation and
didn't need to be updated for 8.14.8. I would imagine nobody saw any point
in a change to the base that did nothing but bump a version but required a
fair amount of change control / release engineering.

If it really offends you, you can edit /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/version.m4
to change it. I wouldn't bother.