Intermittant Kernel Panic FreeBSD 10 STABLE

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 23 21:13:34 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:44:49 am Thomas Laus wrote:
> I have a new Giabyte J1900N-D3V motherboard that intermittantly panics when
> starting up or rebooting.  It shows the same issue on FreeBSD 10 Release and
> FreeBSD Stable snapshot r265408.  I loaded and ran with a FreeBSD Current
> r265628 snapshot for a few days without any issues.  I also loaded and ran
> Win7 for 2 weeks on this system without any problems.  This PC does have
> a solid state disk, which may affect my boot time.
>
> Most of the time the automatic reboot after the panic proceeds normally and
> once the system is up, everything appears to work normally.  I have been
> able to make and build world as well as rebuild all of my ports without
> any problem.

So does HEAD never panic but 10 often panics?  The odd thing here is that this
should be a static table generated by the BIOS that should have the same
contents every boot.  The panic is claiming that one of the fields in the
table is set to an invalid value.  If it happened on every boot it could be a
software bug (or a BIOS bug we need to workaround).  If it only happens on
certain boots it feels more like a memory error. :-/

--
John Baldwin