ASUS Z97I-PLUS MB Intel Ethernet NIC not Detected

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Sun Jun 22 00:19:53 UTC 2014

I have an ASUS Z97I-PLUS ITX motherboard that Freebsd 9.2 (or 9.3-RC1 or 11.0
20140614 snapshot) is failing to detect the Intel Ethernet NIC on it. The
vendor/device id for it is 0x808615A1 and based on what I've located on the
Internet about it is the "Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V".

Based on what I see in the source for the if_em driver (in sys/dev/e1000) it
appears the the "Ethernet Connection I218-V" NIC is supported but I have no
idea what the differences are between these two. I tried hacking the if_em.c
code, adding an entry for this device id to the em_vendor_info_array but it
still was not detected.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! This is going to be a NAS box
so network support is crucial (and the motherboard has only one PCIe slot
containing a Hightpoint Rocket RAID controller required for my disks).

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | I really hate this damned machine
bob at immure.com | I wish that they would sell it.