pkg-install(8), url: "file://" and PKG_CACHEDIR

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Sat Jun 21 17:33:13 UTC 2014

Dear all,

today I tried pkg(8) for the first time.
Thanks for all the great work!

One thing I'm missing is a auto-matching-logic for PKG_CACHEDIR if 'url'
starts with "file://" (in ${PRREFIX}/pkg/repos/mylocalrepo.conf).

Currently, local available packages will be copied to the local cache
dir by default (if not circumvented by 'env
PKG_CACHEDIR=/path/to/local-repo pkg install …' e.g.).
Such a PKG_CACHEDIR-matching-logic should be enabled by default IMHO.

Maybe it's usefull to have a "pkg-install -K" option, (like -K,--keep
for old pkg_add), to disable the PKG_CACHEDIR-mathcing-logic (for
example if someone provides cd-repo and intentionally wants to keep
packages in PKG_CACHEDIR).

Anyone else missing that feature?

Thanks,

-Harry