New Xorg with vt, radeon, and 10-stable

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Thu Jun 19 04:29:56 UTC 2014

Hi Michael

> On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Michael Gass <mgass at csbsju.edu> wrote:
>
> I'm running 10-stable with AMD64.  My graphics card is
> AMD RV610 Radeon HD 24000.
>
> I installed xorg with xf86-video-ati. The xorg server runs
> and terminates just fine, but I cannot get back to syscons.

Sound like you are not using newcons

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

With the kernel mode setting drivers , and a few others , this is a known issue .

Rebuild your kernel and give it a shot . It's not with out issues . I have a Hudson apu and the embedded Radeon doesn't like the kms code in FreeBSD or Linux 3.8 . It does however work in OpenBSD 5.5 . I have not examined it closely to see why as Free and Open use similar code derived from Linux 3.8.x .