Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?

Juergen Nickelsen ni at w21.org
Wed Jun 18 08:20:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-18, at 08:37, Olivier Cochard-Labbé <olivier at cochard.me> wrote:

> I confirm for a "home usage", the PC Engines APU can manage up to 154Kpps
> (about 437Mbs/s of IMIX) in routing and 114Kpps (about 324Mb/s of IMIX)
> with ipfw.
> But... 154Kpps is far from the line-rate gigabit (1.48Mpps).

Ubiquiti claims for their EdgeMAX routers to reach 1 Mpps with their entry-level model (EdgeRouter LITE) and 2 Mpps with their bigger model (EdgeRouter). They have maximum power requirements of 12 W and 40 W, respectively.

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax

I own the other entry-level device, with more ports and PoE (EdgeRouter PEO), but don't yet have it in productive use (and would not able to attest pps performance at that level anyway).

It seems to be quite capable a device, but the Web GUI doesn't cover the more interesting parts of its functions, and the documentation of the command-line UI, which is modeled strongly after Juniper's, seems to be less than fully complete, to say the least.

Might still work out if you are willing to find your way through it. I am not yet fully convinced, but then I haven't found much time to do so by now.

Regards, Juergen.