Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Jun 15 09:34:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-Jun-13 08:17:33 -0400, Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable at pobox.com> wrote:
>Speaking of Soekris elsethread, I'm presently interested in
>picking up a small device to use as a router + firewall for my
>home network.

One thing to keep in mind is that 'gigE firewall' is fairly meaningless by
itself.  Most of the load is per-packet and GigE could be anywhere between
(roughly) 80kpps and 1.5mpps.

That said, since you mention 'home network', I presume you don't need complex
packet manipulation at wire-speed.  Note that whilst the re(4) driver doesn't
have the same comments as the rl(4) driver, you will still need significantly
more CPU power to get the same thruput from a RTL8111 as (eg) an em.

--
Peter Jeremy