Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?

Chris Nehren cnehren+freebsd-stable at pobox.com
Sat Jun 14 01:17:17 UTC 2014

Speaking of Soekris elsethread, I'm presently interested in
picking up a small device to use as a router + firewall for my
home network.  I initially looked at what Soekris has to offer,
of course, but they only have 4xgigE products (the net650x line).
I don't need that many ports, but they don't offer anything that
has just 2xgigE.  I'd like something smaller than the net650x
line[0], preferably similarly low power.

The box will run pf, some form of local name resolution for the
network, a RADIUS server for my wifi AP, and openvpn.  It'd be
helpful if the NICs and drivers support VLANs.

Any suggestions?

[0]: If I was going to spend 400+ USD on a machine, I may as well
pick up a used Dell or something and toss some em(4)s in it.

--
Chris Nehren