Odd problem with find(1) on FUSE sshfs mounted filesystems

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at icloud.com
Fri Jun 13 06:49:28 UTC 2014

I’m on FreeBSD stable/10 r267390 on one of my systems and on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p5 i386 on another one. Both exhibit a strange behaviour when find(1) is used on a FUSE sshfs mounted filesystems. This an excerpt of a log from such run (I mounted FreeBSD sources on /mnt using sshfs):

mnt/contrib/ofed/libmlx4/autogen.sh^M
/mnt/contrib/ofed/libmlx4/mlx4.driver^M
/mnt/contrib/ofed/libmlx4/config^M
/mnt/contrib/ofed/libmlx4/Makefile.am^M
/mnt/contrib/openresolv^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/pdnsd.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/resolvconf.8.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/resolvconf.conf.5.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/configure: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/unbound.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/named.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/resolvconf.conf: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/dnsmasq.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/Makefile: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/libc.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/README: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv/resolvconf.in: No such file or directory^M
find: /mnt/contrib/openresolv: No such file or directory^M
/mnt/contrib/ntp^M
…

I can rsync(1) the files from the mounted filesystem just fine without any errors/corruption so clearly all the files and directories are there and accessible.

Is this a problem in FUSE/sshfs or find(1) and how to start debugging this?

I have tested with both FreeBSD and OS X as SSH servers and the same problem is present using both systems.

In all of the tests I’ve done there are no mountpoints crossed, each mounted directory tree is on a single filesystem on the server.

-Kimmo