freebsd-update to 9.2-RELEASE-p8 loop

Royce Williams royce at tycho.org
Tue Jun 10 19:09:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Michael W. Lucas
> <mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 07:53:15PM +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> p8 did not touch the kernel, therefore there is no update in the uname output.
>>>
>>> Why it again and again updates linker.hints, I don't know.
>>
>> linker.hints should be added to /etc/freebsd-update.conf IgnoreFiles, i.e.:
>>
>> IgnorePaths /boot/kernel/linker.hints
>>
>> linker.hints is dynamically generated, and freebsd-update shouldn't
>> touch it. Yes, it's a bug.
>
> More background in this forums thread:
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=1362
>
> Also, I've found that just adding the IgnorePaths line may be
> necessary, but is not sufficient.  I have added that line, but
> freebsd-update continues to detect linker.hints as a needed update:
>
> $ grep linker /etc/freebsd-update.conf
> IgnorePaths /boot/kernel/linker.hints
>
> $ sudo freebsd-update fetch
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 8.4-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> The following files will be updated as part of updating to 8.4-RELEASE-p12:
> /boot/kernel/linker.hints

Better reference on freebsd-questions, but it raises more questions
than it answers:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-May/257950.html

Specifically, multiple users appear to still be experiencing this,
even after applying the fix for this erratum:

http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-14:04.kldxref.asc

Royce