Not to beat a dead horse, but ...

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Tue Jun 10 00:46:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 9 Jun 2014, at 4:58, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM, George Mitchell <george+freebsd at m5p.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [ … ]
>> The party line seems to be, "Well, everybody knows SCHED_ULE sucks
>> on uniprocessors."  Hello?  Not everybody has upgraded to multiple
>> core or hyperthreaded processors yet.  Do we really want to write
>> off every uniprocessor piece of hardware out here?
>>
> Yes? Can you even buy a system today that is uniprocessor? My phone is a
> dual core thing, and it got written of because of its "meagre" hardware.
> Top of the line phones has 8 cores. So, seriously, what non-ancient system
> have you acquired that is uniprocessor? Please include links for available
> hardware for laptops, desktops or servers.
> /A

Embedded systems. There are lots of them. Your phone is pretty close to a general purpose computer now and has to do a lot of stuff, including being a gaming device. Lots of workloads fit into smaller systems. See:

http://www.soekris.com/
http://www.advantech.com/
http://www.pcengines.ch/
http://www.chippc.com/

Those are just the Intel based ones - for ARM and MIPS there is a very long list (we don’t run FreeBSD on those yet, but we are planning to.)

Regards,

Jan.