Not to beat a dead horse, but ...

Jamie Landeg-Jones jamie at dyslexicfish.net
Sun Jun 8 20:17:14 UTC 2014

George Mitchell <george+freebsd at m5p.com> wrote:

> On 06/08/14 14:58, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > [...]
> > Yes? Can you even buy a system today that is uniprocessor? My phone is a
> > dual core thing, and it got written of because of its "meagre" hardware.
> > Top of the line phones has 8 cores. [...]
>
> I'll grant you I haven't had the urge to upgrade recently.  My systems
> are adequate to my needs, so why should i?                   -- George

Exactly.

I don't know enough about ULE/4BSD perforance to comment on that aspect,
but that comment from Andreas smacks of elitism.

All 3 of my servers, and 2 of my running home machines are single core,
and do the job just fine. I'm not going to upgrade for the sake of it,
or indeed, pay more per month to rent the servers.

I got alot of people into FreeBSD by installing it on their PC's when
they claimed Windows was too slow, and they were thinking of upgrading.

I'm sure many a 'discarded' single core PC is now whirring away in
some corner running a unix-based firewall/file server.

Isn't this leanness part of the Unix philosophy?

It's not like George or I want better support on 386 PCs! (that is,
the literal old 386, not the i386 architecture)

Cheers, Jamie