Flowtable stats

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Sun Jun 8 14:47:39 UTC 2014

While preparing to transition from 9.2Stable to 10.0Stable, I noticed
that there is no ability to examine the status of the flowtable.  The
sysctl net.inet.flowtable.stats was useful to ascertain if the
net.flowtable.maxflows (or previously net.inet.flowtable.nmbflows on 9.*
and 8.*) is sufficient or excessive.  For boundary devices with 1G (or
less), it is helpful to tune.

Is there another sysctl that I need to tweak to see this, or a
supporting program?

It would be useful to see  Hits/Lookups, while misses might be useful if
expiry were tuneable.

Refer to single CPU boundary device FreeBSD9.2:
net.inet.flowtable.stats=
table name: ipv4
        collisions: 12
        allocated: 0
        misses: 225821
        max_depth: 1
        free_checks: 1502021
        frees: 225785
        hits: 220339242
        lookups: 220565063

net.inet.flowtable.nmbflows=25600 looks about right, while the FreeBSD10
(server) that I'm using has autoset net.flowtable.maxflows=427552

There was no mention in UPDATING or the 10.0R Release Notes.
Regards, Dewayne.