SuperMicro SAS Expander compatibility question

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 04:21:23 UTC 2014

On Jun 4, 2014 9:26 AM, "Daniel Duerr" <dd at gizmocreative.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking to build a new ZFS storage server on 9-STABLE.  The zpool
will be running multiple raid2z vdevs.  To accommodate a larger number of
disks, I'd like to use a SAS Expander.  I'm leaning towards the combination
of the LSI SAS 9211-4i HBA (via mps) and the Supermicro 846E16 expander
chassis (via ses).  Does anyone here have experience with this specific
hardware combination?  Is it supported?  Is it stable?

We use LSI 9211-8i, and LSI 9211-8e connected to either SC836E16, SC836E26,
SC846E16, SC846E26, and the JBOD version of the last 2.

All using SATA HDs, SATA SSDs, Super Micro H8DGi-F6 mobo, and AMD CPUs.

With FreeBSD 9.2. ZFS. Raidz2. And dedupe on some systems.

So far, things are extremely stable and working well. These are backups
storage boxes, though, not NFS or anything like that.