Gmirror + gpart corruption on 9.3-PRE

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Mon Jul 28 07:27:47 UTC 2014

Hi, all,

Am 25.07.2014 um 15:45 schrieb Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>
>> Am 25.07.2014 um 07:34 schrieb Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:
>>> True.  But partitioning can be specific to the drive.  It's not like GPT-partitioned drives can be copied with dd (well, not correctly).
>>
>> Errrr ... sorry, but ... could you please elaborate on that? Up until now I was sure that any drive could be
>> copied with dd(1).
>>
>> Puzzled. :-)
>
> GPT partitioning puts a primary partition table at the beginning of the drive, and a backup partition table at the end of the drive.

Thanks. I knew that. Never assume ... as usual. Of course I was thinking "same sized disks", so your comment
really made me wonder if there was anything as pervert as disk serial numbers or other UUIDs in the partition
information that would not work when copied blockwise.

Best regards
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100