Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Fri Jul 4 21:13:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014, 14:18 +0200, Piotr Kubaj wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 14:00, freebsd-stable-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> There's not POLA as vt(4) has been merged to stable/9 and stable/10 to
> make it possible to use tty. To use new Xorg with tty, recompile kernel
> using VT config.

Right, it cannot be construed as POLA violation for stable/9 or
stable/10; but we're talking about a -RELEASE branch.  Is it appropriate
for a -RELEASE branch user doing a point release upgrade within a major
version to have NEW_XORG build without warning (and not work) following
the OS upgrade?

The intention of ports r351411 appears to be to make NEW_XORG the
default on stable/9 and stable/10 while leaving old XORG the default on
the 9 and 10 -RELEASE branches.  We have just branched releng/9.3 from
stable/9, so it has picked up the "opt out" behaviour from stable -
opposite to the "opt in" behaviour of the releng branches.

Although the conditional processing happens in the ports infrastructure
it impacts user experience of this release FOR USERS OF X.  vt(4) is not
even mentioned in GENERIC or NOTES but a VT config file is lurking in
the release.  sc(4) and vga(4) are still in GENERIC and GENERIC states
that syscons(4) is the default console driver.  I didn't come across
anything that warned me that a ports upgrade following the OS upgrade
would break X.

--
John Marshall