Recommend FreeBSD VPS

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Thu Feb 20 13:15:38 UTC 2014

From: Lucius Rizzo
>* Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> [2014-02-19 15:53]:

> >Be aware of who your neighbors are if your VPS needs to send email,
> >or if you feel icky about getting a cheap VPS by moving into a shady
> >neighborhood.

I've been shopping for new VM/Co-lo for our hobbyist/arts/small business
server and RootBSD seems to fit the bill exactly with their pricing and
options. Does anyone have experience how tight shipo they are running with
regards to spamming etc? Of course, having Hetzner and OVH supply the
spamming demand here in Europe, other providers might be spared altogether
;)

>However, running a MTA (Or the entire mail/web) infrastructure is not an
>easy endeavor. Nor is it always done right. Having newbs delve into
>this world - past the SEO blogging wordpress spam, will just mean that...

//rant
Someone once said that real world is complicated and that makes email
servers automatically complicated too. In many cases it seems that people
automatically qualify as smtp and DNS admin once they can install some
flavor of desktop linux on their personal machines. This is my personal pet
peeve, people sending mail with headers telling that sender is
xxx at myhosteddomain.whatever. You can't these days just forward messages with
sender info kept intact, as modern spam and bounce prevention means that
some random guy in internet can't sign the mails on our behalf...

-Reko