FreeBSD 10 on VMWare in a corporate network; How?

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Fri Feb 14 15:13:16 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 8:43 am, Mark Saad wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Mark Felder <feld at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 13:38, Marko Cupać wrote:
>>> First of all, I wouldn't go with 10-RELEASE, as it is not officially
>>> supported. Go for 9.2-RELEASE amd64 or expect all kinds of problems.
>>
>> "FreeBSD" is "not officially supported" by VMWare. Trust me. We threw
>> $60,000 at them and they still wouldn't acknowledge bugs. I couldn't
>> even find an engineer that knew what FreeBSD was!
>>

> So you need to remind the engineers at VMware their parent company EMC
> uses and sells things based on FreeBSD. Mainly Isilon and spectra
> logic as well as other things .
>

>> Plus you have to consider that we don't even know what version of ESXi
>> he's working with in the first place. According to their OS support
>> matrix, FreeBSD 9.2 is only "supported" on ESXi 5.5.
>>
>> http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&partner=109&testConfigurations=16&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=16
>
> If we , all of the VMware users who use FreeBSD on esxi , work out a
> good set I notes for using VMware esxi  + FreeBSD and work up a good
> page on wiki.freebsd.org; we can make some of the users have a better
> experience and we can help EMC / VMware with support as a Side effect
> .
>
> Anyone interested in helping ?
>
> --/
> Mark Saad

I would be interested, I have been running various version of FreeBSD on
various ESX and VMWare for some time.  I have found few little gotchas,
but for the most part it has been running great.  Including FreeBSD 10,
on the latest version of VMware Workstation, ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 5.1.  I
don't however use the VMware Tools install from within VMware, and
instead use the emulators/open-vm-tools port.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer