And Here I Thought buildworld/makeworld Was IO Bound

Philipp-Joachim Ost pj at smo.de
Mon Feb 10 22:17:18 UTC 2014

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
[...]
> Yeah, I wonder what other people are seeing for a full buildworld/kernel
> and/or what
> the master machines at FreeBSD.org do in this regards.
>
> Would anyone else care to share with the class?
On my main machine 'make -j12 buildworld' takes 43:38.42 minutes to
complete; -j4 takes 1:53 hours to complete. My stripped down kernel is
built in 1:52 minutes... It's a AMD FX 6100, 8GB RAM, ZFS all around.
I'm shure I can improve those numbers, as I was running other stuff in
the background.

Some days ago, I dug out an older machine of mine (sporting a
PIII at 500MHz, 256MB memory). That machine needs ~25 hours to build world.
Crazy fast :D

To be honest, I don't exactly care a lot how long it takes to build a
new world/kernel. I'm happy as long as it finishes in a reasonable
timeframe (those 25 hours are stretching it a bit, though...).

Philipp