PKG wants to remove a lot of installed packages only to install MOZJPEG package

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:02:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Michael Butler <imb at protected-networks.net>
wrote:

> On 12/29/14 06:07, vermaden wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to add 'mozjpeg' package, but PKG wants to remove a lot of
> > other packages in that process, any explanation for that?
>
> > # pkg install mozjpeg
> > Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> > FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> > All repositories are up-to-date.
> > Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This tells me that mozjpeg installs files over the top of the jpeg
> package and, in order to install it, needs to remove everything that
> depends on it.
>
> pkg has no way of knowing if mozjpeg has the same API as jpeg,
>
>         imb

I really have issues with the default behavior of deleting all dependent
packages like this without an obvious way to deal with it.

I suspect the official way is to is to use a set -o old-pkg:new-pkg:
pkg delete -f jpeg (-f prevents all dependent packages from being deleted)
pkg install graphics/mozjpeg
pkg set -o graphics/jpeg graphics/mozjpeg

Odly, I note that graphics/jpeg is a dependency of graphics/mozjpeg, so
color me a bit confused. I also don't understand why gcc and gcj are
dependencies. I guess mozjpeg requires the run-time libraries.

And why has Firefox decided to switch my language to UK English??? Weird
morning!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com