I do not quite understand why a BIND upgrade needs to touch soo much.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 21:26:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm building my packages with poudriere and using pkg (1.4.0)
>> to upgrade bind. With the sort of shocking result:
>> ======================
>> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>>         gettext-0.18.3.1_1
>>

> That first one is the key. Bind depends on gettext --- as does pretty much
> every other package in existence --- and gettext underwent a massive
> breaking change, which is kinda deranging everything else. The recent
> /usr/ports/UPDATING entry for gettext has the gory details.

To explain a bit further: this time, your portupgrade would do a lot of
extra work as well. bind is not self-contained; it has dependencies, some
of which are shared by other packages. If you want your bind update to be
self-contained then you'll need to make your own port and package from it
containing its own gettext, so you can upgrade that one package without
breaking every other package that depends on gettext. Otherwise, you just
have to accept that a package other than bind, which bind and just about
everything else depends on, *also* changed; and you can't just upgrade bind
without upgrading gettext *and* either upgrading or removing the other
packages that depend on the old gettext.