Unable to mount the root fs on stable/8 r264339, GENERIC kernel, with MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Fri Apr 11 16:38:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a couple of uncritical systems running stable/8 r258344.
Hardware is Dell OptiPlex GX260, BIOS A09, which is the latest rev.

The r264339 GENERIC kernel are unable to mount the root fs from the
hard drive using MBR, FreeBSD slice, and UFS volume labels.

r258344 obviously can.

I even tried regular device names like /dev/ad0s1a in /etc/fstab, and
at the mountroot> prompt, i.e. ufs:/dev/ad0s1a. The kernel still
cannot mount the root fs.

The new kernel (r264339) does recognize the ad0 harddrive, and ad0 is
listed as one of the GEOM managed disk devices; acd0 being the other
one.

Do I need to load additional geom modules, or is it a genuine bug?

I have recreated the same conditions on a spare GX260, yes, I have
plenty of them.

In addition there was some problems with the USB subsystem, so I
disabled USB in the BIOS for now. USB is not essential for any of my
systems.

Maybe it's time to leave stable/8 and enter stable/10 or stable/9.
I'll try to compile stable/9 on the spare system, and see how it
fares.

Any thoughts regarding the problem mounting the root fs?

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |