9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Sep 28 15:05:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013, Ben Morrow wrote:

> Quoth David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com>:
>>
>> I personally think (but you may totally disagree with) that an operating
>> system *is* an operating system. And I really hate easter eggs or
>> anything else not serious being integrated into the system. I think
>> about a new user installing FreeBSD 9.2, I would not imagine his
>> reaction front of this kind of "tribute" or whatever you call that. For
>> me it stands for "that's not serious, it looks like a toy".
>
> Personally I thoroughly approve of a joke every now and then, as long as
> it doesn't get out of hand.

The problem with humor is that it's subjective.  Think of a joke that
lots of people found funny, but you did not.  Now put that same joke
somewhere you will be forced to see it and be reminded of it often.

After a short time, it's not just unfunny, it's irritating.  Or, as
someone once put it, "there's a fine line between clever and stupid."

So this kind of thing should be easily disabled.  There should also be
some warning, so when people see a vastly different boot screen, their
first thought is not "was I hacked?".