9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 03:22:55 UTC 2013

On 28/09/2013 12:17 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On 9/27/13 7:14 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2013 5:05 PM, "grenville armitage" <garmitage at swin.edu.au>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On 09/28/2013 08:06, David Demelier wrote:
>>>          [..]

>>> I beg to differ.
>> I know it's not a poll, but myself and the 5 people in my office all
>> thought it was awesome, and will be leaving it enabled for as long as 9.2
>> is installed on our servers.
>>
>> That definitely puts it above "nobody liked it".
>>
>> Lighten up. Go outside, take a deep breath of fresh air. Move on. Life is
>> too short for this. :)
>>
> Agreed.  When it stop being fun, then it will see a decline in
> participation.
>
> -Alfred

Both of you have it *right* on the money :) A more discerning question
is *why* you thought it was awesome.

Poeple might think its obvious, but the answer is *not* a cool logo, nor
any Nakatomi reference.

The real answer is deeper than that, and goes to the heart of why we
feel affinities toward one individual, group, organisation or another.

The purpose is entirely non-technical, and *precisely* to be active in
honing FreeBSD's brand identity, personality and culture moving forward.

If the outcomes are a perception of a community that is approachable and
lighthearted, and encouraging participation, so much the better.

To those who read this thread, ask yourself first: What message do YOU
want to communicate to the world about who we are?

Now make your decisions follow from that :)

--
Kubilay "koobs" Kocak