[SOLVED] Only one CPU core detected on Supermicro E3-1240 v3

Marián Černý majo-freebsd-stable at cerny.sk
Fri Sep 27 13:13:07 UTC 2013

Marian Cerny wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.2-RC4 on Supermicro server with Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 processor. The processor has 4 cores with 8 threads. However only one core is detected (with two threads):
>
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
> FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 1 core(s) x 2 SMT threads
> cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
> cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>
> The motherboard is Supermicro X10SLM-F. All cores are enabled in BIOS and the latest firmware is installed (version 1.1a, Build Date 08/20/2013).

I have contacted Supermicro support and they have advised me to flash the latest BIOS but set the JPME2 jumper (Manufacturing Mode Select) and move it back after flashing. Now the all the cores are detected:

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 SMT threads

Marian