Feature request: sticky bit inheritance

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 28 07:04:31 UTC 2013

Wiadomość napisana przez Harald Schmalzbauer w dniu 27 lis 2013, o godz. 13:03:
> Hello,
>
> ever since I took a FreeBSD machine into production, acting as any kind
> of file server, I have to work arround the problem, that write access to
> a directory implies unlinking (deleting) directory contents. Never heard
> any sensible explanation why anybody would ever want that behaviour, but
> it's been like that for decades and everybody seems to be fine with
> that!?! Maybe because there's the stick bit, which is a usable workarround.
> Unfortunately, there's no “sticky” equivalent in nfs4acls.

One idea is to use NFSv4 ACLs and add entry that denies delete_child
and is inherited by directories, i.e. "everyone@:D:d:deny".  This should
prevent deletion despite write access.

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?