Help with filing a [maybe] ZFS/mmap bug.

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 14 12:00:58 UTC 2013

on 14/11/2013 13:48 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> HOWEVER.  I think that there is a bug that I introduced in r246293.
> Specifically I changed
> 	vm_page_undirty(pp);
> 	pmap_remove_write(pp);
> 	vm_page_clear_dirty(pp, off, nbytes);
>
> vm_page_undirty() would be a very serious (and probably obvious) bug, if it were
> not a NOP in effect.  The details are explained in the commit message.
> But when I used vm_page_clear_dirty I completely missed the fact that *extends*
> the range to DEV_BSIZE aligned boundaries[*].  So, given the described behavior
> and that pmap_remove_write clears the page modified bit, it is possible that the
> data dirty data in the extended areas will be marked as clean.

I should also add that the above information is consistent with the corruption
that George observed and analyzed (thanks!) -- a few bytes at the end of a page.

In fact, I am able to reproduce the bug with the following program.

#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/cdefs.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

static const off_t len = PAGE_SIZE;
static const off_t len2 = PAGE_SIZE - DEV_BSIZE + 1;

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
	char dummy[len2];
        char *p;
        off_t i;
        int fd;

        if (argc < 2) {
                fprintf (stderr, "usage: %s <file>\n", argv[0]);
                return (1);
        }

        fd = open(argv[1], O_CREAT | O_EXCL | O_RDWR, 0660);
        if (fd == -1) {
                perror ("open");
                return (1);
        }

        if (ftruncate(fd, len) == -1) {
                perror ("ftruncate");
                return (1);
        }

        p = mmap(0, len, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
        if (p == MAP_FAILED) {
                perror ("mmap");
                return (1);
        }

        for (i = 0; i < len; i++)
                p[i] = '0';

	if (msync(p, len, MS_SYNC) != 0) {
                perror ("msync");
                return (1);
	}

	printf("file filled with 0s and synced\n");

        for (i = 0; i < len; i++)
                p[i] = '1';

	printf("file filled with 1s\n");

        for (i = 0; i < len2; i++)
		dummy[i] = 'x';

	if (write(fd, dummy, len2) != len2) {
		perror ("write");
		return (1);
	}

	printf("first %ju bytes are overwritten with 'x'\n",
	    (uintmax_t)len2);

        if (munmap(p, len) == -1) {
                perror ("munmap");
                return (1);
        }

        if (close(fd) == -1) {
                perror ("close");
                return (1);
        }

	printf("file is unmapped and closed\n");
	printf("please unmount and remount filesystem and check file content\n");

        return (0);
}

--
Andriy Gapon