BETA3 running *hot* on my Acer 5553g (AMD Mobile Phenom)

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 13 16:00:48 UTC 2013

On 13.11.2013 13:16, Mathias Picker wrote:
> This laptop allways was quite hot, but with 9-stable it ran around 52C
> when idle...
> Now this is up to 60C, and when I actually use it the temp reaches 94C
> and it only survivies through throttling the cpu.
>
> I've switched of the descrete graphics card (which doesn't work with kms
> anyway) and use the hd4200 on the motherboard only. (see
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=29448)

Have you had a chance to run Linux 3.10 (or earlier, but not 3.11+) on
it? Or read any reports of that version of Linux on this laptop?

I don't know if this could be related, but the Radeon kernel driver in
Linux before 3.11 (FreeBSD's driver is based on 3.8) doesn't support
many power management features. That's why I'm asking about Linux behavior.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron