sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe00c7223498: Listen queue overflow

Kai Gallasch k at free.de
Tue Nov 12 08:53:25 UTC 2013

Am 01.10.2013 um 04:43 schrieb Mark Andrews:

> In message <798639e66426509cd53d1f2a1c1d58e0 at intertainservices.com>, Mike Jakubik writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I updated our main server to 9.2-STABLE today and afterwards I noticed a
>> bunch of these messages, does anyone know what they mean? I was unable
>> to find anything on this error message. Things appear to be working OK
>> so far.
>>
>> Sep 30 22:08:56 illidan kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe00c7223498:
>> Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance
>> Sep 30 22:12:27 illidan kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe00c7223498:
>> Listen queue overflow: 193 already in queue awaiting acceptance
>
> Use "netstat -nAa" to match the reported pcb (protocol control
> block) to the IP address and port.  Then use that to work out which
> daemon is not keeping up.
>
> Mark

(In reference to: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-August/074540.html and http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-October/075377.html)

Hi Mark.

I also have quite a lot of this "Listen queue overflow" in the kernel messages on a 9.2-STABLE (r257053) and I tried to identify the listening processes with filled up listen queue with netstat. I tried both "netstat -nAa | grep $pcb" and "netstat -Lan" but found no match with the pcb.

Problem seems to be that there are server processes that dynamically fork child processes that do the listening and are only active for a short time.

Now I wonder if there is a nifty solution for this besides running a watchdog script every minute that scans the kernel.msg for "Listen queue overflow" and does the trick to find out the pid/process/jid of the connected process.

Regards,
Kai.

--
GPG-Key: A593 E38B E968 4DBE 14D6  2115 7065 4D7C 4FB1 F588
Key available from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net