Could not build new xorg with FreeBSD10-Beta3

Juanitou listjm at club-internet.fr
Mon Nov 11 10:35:05 UTC 2013

El 10/11/2013 23:27, Kevin Oberman escribió:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Juanitou <listjm at club-internet.fr
> <mailto:listjm at club-internet.fr>> wrote:
>
>             Ah, but I did not installed this version, which comes from the
>             experimental repository, isn’t it? I just installed the
>             standard version
>             coming from ports (1.7.7). The AMD GPUs wiki page does not
>             say anything
>             about updating xorg-server to 1.12.4.
>
>         You need  xorg-server to 1.12.4, but it is not from the
>         development repo.
>         You get it from "WITH_NEW_XORG=" and it is required for many
>         newer GPUs,
>         including Intel and AMD. It works for many others, but will
>         fail to work
>         with some older GPUs. In nay case, it should always build.
>

>     FWIW, following the guide, enabling WITH_NEW_XORG and installing
>     libGL and dri from the development repo gives me xorg-server 1.7.7
>     (not 1.12.4) and KMS for an ATI GPU.
>

> This baffles me. Here is what hte Makefle contains:
> <snip>
> So, assuming your ports tree is even close to current, you should get
> 1.12.4. It's not complicated, but something is clearly going wrong for
> you. I'm at  loss. You might try "make -V WITH_NEW_XORG" and confirm
> that it is sees it as YES. If it is, you can try "make -d c" and check
> the output. It will be pretty big, so you might want to redirect it to
> a file.
>
> I'll admit ot being confused. I think you said so before, but are you
> running 10 which uses bmake? It might be an issue there.

Thanks for looking into that and please accept my apologies, since I’m
making lose your time: I don’t know why, but xorg-server had not been
updated, despite the configuration being done:
root /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server # uname -a
FreeBSD Marianne.Juan.home 10.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #0 r257580: Sun
Nov  3 21:5:32 UTC 2013
root at snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
root /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server # pkg info xorg-server
xorg-server-1.7.7_11,1
root /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server # grep WITH_NEW_XORG -A 1 -m 1
Makefile
.if defined(WITH_NEW_XORG)
XORG_VERSION=   1.12.4
root /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server # make -V !^
make -V WITH_NEW_XORG
"YES"

I think I know what I did wrong: since I got twice the famous error
during building dri (error: unknown type name 'GLDEBUGPROCARB') I
commented out the WITH_NEW_XORG, built everything with portmaster -a,
then reinstated the switch and installed the ATI video driver, libGL and
dri again from the experimental repository… without rebuilding
xorg-server. As it worked and I was in a hurry I did not looked further.

Now I have rebuilt xorg-server (1.12.4) and all the concerned ports.
Unfortunately, the mouse and keyboard stopped working and I have these
errors:
(EE) module ABI major version (7) doesn't match the server's version (16)

Well, that’s for another thread…

It’s nevertheless fishy that the original poster (Zenny) seems to have
had problems getting the 1.12.4 to install, then not still managed to
build dri. I hope it’s only a matter of doing all again in the good
order… and maybe the upgrade documentation needs to be improved, but I
don’t know how.

Best regards,
Juan