Help with filing a [maybe] ZFS/mmap bug.

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 22:58:53 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Hartzell" <hartzell at alerce.com>
To: "Andriy Gapon" <avg at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: <freebsd-stable at FreeBSD.org>; <hartzell at alerce.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: Help with filing a [maybe] ZFS/mmap bug.

> Andriy Gapon writes:
> > on 18/07/2013 20:44 George Hartzell said the following:
> > > Andriy Gapon writes:
> > >  > on 17/07/2013 23:47 George Hartzell said the following:
> > >  > > How should I move forward with this?
> > >  >
> > >  > Could you please try to reproduce this problem using a kernel built with
> > >  > INVARIANTS options?
> > >
> > > I added INVARIANT_SUPPORT and INVARIANTS options to the GENERIC
> > > kernel, rebuilt it, installed it and running through my "test case"
> > > generated a lot of invalid flac files.  I"m not sure what the options
> > > are/were supposed to do though, it looks like they generally lead to
> > > KASSERTS, which lead to abort()'s.  Nothing in /var/log/messages or on
> > > the console.
> >
> > George,
> >
> > do you have anything new on this issue?
>
> Since the message that you quoted I narrowed down my "test case"
> somewhat but I have not yet produced a stand-alone tool that
> reproduces it (you still have to go through picard et al.).
>
> > Could you please try the following patch?
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/zfs-putpages.diff
> >
> > I expect it to not really fix the issue, but it may help to narrow it down.
> > Please keep INVARIANTS.
>
> Absolutely.  Probably not until the weekend, but I'll give it a go.
>
> Thanks for following up.

Did you manage to make any progress with this?

We're seeing a problem where rrdcached corrupts rrd files and remembering
this thread and knowning it uses mmap and we're on ZFS I was wondering
it this may be the cause for this issue too.

I've just recompiled rrdtool without mmap support and am clearing down
all corrupted files but it would be good to know if any progress was
made on this?

    Regards
    Steve